Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Stereotypes and risk

Today we discussed the stereotype threat that the A&K readings covered. The stereotype threat is very real. It can either put pressure on a student to preform above the grade to prove the stereotype wrong or will decide not to really try because they have always been told they can't.
I kind of understand how they feel, I was in foster care where everyone thought there was something inherently wrong with me. I had to work twice as hard to prove to the teachers I was not a bad person. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGEUVM6QuMg This is a link to a video that has Dr Steele in it talking about this threat,

1 comment:

  1. Considering you did the presentation this week, a must more nuanced explanation of the readings and class discussion would have served you well in this post.

    ReplyDelete