Wednesday, March 3, 2010

different is not always so different

This week in class we discussed racism in schools and different ways to combat it. Starting children learning about and being aware of racism at an early age may help combat the belief that different is bad. I liked the me pocket idea that was brought out in the WU readings. I also got a taste of what students whose first language is not English go through. I tried very hard to understand Kerri's instructions but just couldn't. When I asked her to translate she said no. I felt really stupid. One thing we touched upon but was not a main focus in class that I would like to explore further is Gardener's theory of multiple intelligences. This theory is important for teachers to understand so that they can build curriculum that will help all their students learn. Here are a couple of links that explain the theory and have some links to tests like the one we did in class.
http://www.businessballs.com/howardgardnermultipleintelligences.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/howardgardner/

2 comments:

  1. I can spend more time discussing this, as I have used it extensively. But what was your take on the concepts/ideas brought up in the Sleeter and Grant readings? They mentioned quite a few strategies and ideas that one would deem significant in multicultural classroom settings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fact that you said "I felt stupid" of course Im sure that was KMS's intention at the same time I think that is exactly what a student labeled "different" feels when they are being taught by a teacher who doesn't cooperate with their needs. It is so unfortunate but this is the exact reason so many non-english speakers come into the US school system and fall behind.

    ReplyDelete